Monday, August 26, 2013

Nothing Like A Good Grease Fire To Motivate One To Clean The Oven!

Today I put some chicken nuggets in the oven for the girls' lunch.  I was sitting in the living room and after about five minutes, I noticed it smelled like smoke.  I went to the kitchen to investigate and I saw that smoke was pouring out of the oven vent.  What in the world?!!!

I opened the oven door just in time to witness the foil I had lining the bottom of the oven burst into flame! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!  FIRE!  Cue that moment of panic when your heart jumps up in the back of your throat.  I go to the sink and start soaking towels to throw into the oven as the hubby grabs a pair of tongs to remove the flaming foil.  As he takes the foil to the sink, I toss the towels into the inferno because fortunately I remembered in my panic that you smother a grease fire:-)

Crisis averted.  Fire out, hands shaking, saying a little prayer of thanks.  What would have happened if I hadn't been there right when the fire started?  What if I had waited another minute before investigating?  I think someone was watching over my kitchen today.

I look at TheMostAwesomeHusbandInTheWorld and he says to me, "Oh yeah.  I forgot that when I reheated those ribs the other night they kind of made a mess."  Hmmmm.  I was wondering why pie filling (which is what I remember recently boiling over) would have caught fire...now things are making more sense.  

Well, I suppose the oven was due for a thorough scrubbing.  Just hasn't planned on putting it on today's to-do list.  Thanks for providing the extra motivation, Dear:-)  Love you to the moon and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment