Thursday, July 11, 2013

What, Wait! July?!!!

Does anyone else ever find themselves cruising along and all of a sudden, life hits hyperdrive?  I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized we are about to close out the second week of July.  What?!!!  Hold up!  The second week of JULY?  That means the summer is practically half over!  It seems like pre-school just ended and it finally just got warm!

We have been so busy lately that it feels like life has just been happening to me rather than me living out my life.  Fourth of July trips, swimming lessons, gardening and lawn mowing, dealing with a flooded basement, church service projects and all of the little summer things that have eaten up my time.   I look back on it an see that most of it has been fun, but at the same time, I have not really been savoring the moments.

My children are growing up so fast and it seems that each day goes by quicker than the last.  One moment I look at my older daughter and she is little and cute and still has that look of baby about her and the next minute I turn around and she is tall, leggy, independent and looks every bit the kindergartener she is about to become.  It thrills me and scares me all at once.  I am so proud of who my children are becoming, yet there is that piece of me that doesn't want to let go of my babies.

On the other hand, I am sure I am not the only housewife who fantasizes of all the things she will be able to accomplish during the day once the children are in school.  The idea of regular trips to the grocery store without any helpers I must say does make me feel a little bit giddy:-)  Being able to get to the gym before supper on a regular basis would be amazing!  Cleaning my house without turning around the next minute to see all of my efforts trashed would give me a great deal of satisfaction.

Then I wonder, will it be lonely?  Will I be bored by the end of back-to-school week?  Will I run out of projects to keep myself  busy?  Ha!  (Pause a moment for some mental hysteria.)  I am looking forward to doing some of the things it seems like I have been putting off for the past five years.  I am looking forward to baking cookies for snack time at school and chaperoning the field trips.  I look forward to really digging in to some of the home improvement projects around the house that I can't effectively work on with constant interruptions.  But still...

The summer is flying by.  I see the school year looming over the horizon.  I am trying to squeeze in all of the fun things I was thinking about back around Memorial Day.  Still looking forward to a trip to the amusement park.  Perhaps a trip to the zoo.  We need to finish up swimming lessons and take part in activities at the local library.  We have a little weekend vacation coming up next month.  And still, it will all go too fast.  I need to remember to take a moment, take a breath, and allow myself to enjoy the moment.  Laugh.  Goof around.  Take pictures.  Squeeze a little hand, they won't be little for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment