Friday, May 24, 2013

Preparing for the Future

"We may not be able to prepare the future for our children, but we can at least prepare our children for the future." -FDR

"At least"?!!!  I hardly think making sure our children are prepared to meet the world warrants an "at least"!  Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing quote and the sentiment is oh so true, but come on!  Preparing our children to face the world on their own is a monumental task!  I look at my two girls ages three and (almost) five and everyday I wonder what the world will look like when they become adults.  So much about the world today scares me and I constantly wonder, what must I teach them?  From what must I shield them?  How do I empower them to have a voice to stand against the things they know are wrong?  What must I be doing to ensure that when they reach adulthood, they have a functioning moral compass so they are able to DETERMINE right from wrong?

I pray, and probably not as much as I should.  I know that it is not within my power to protect my girls from all that is bad, and dare I say evil, in our world.  I pray that God will help me pass on wisdom to my daughters.  I pray He will stand in the gap when I fall short, which I am sure happens more than I am even aware.  I hope that when I wave to them as they step out into the world, I am able to smile because I know I did my job.  I want to be confident that they are able to take on the world, and not worry that they will be swallowed up by it.


No comments:

Post a Comment