Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thank Heaven for Little Girls

Last night my older daughter had her end-of-the-year preschool program.  It was super adorable and cute!  There was singing, instruments, and choreographed dance moves.  My favorite part was when one little boy used a pink scarf, which was a prop for one of the songs, as a superhero cape and ran back and forth across the stage. It was a delight to my heart to see this group of four- and five-year-olds find so much joy in performing for their families.  As we sat down for our little ice cream social afterwards, I felt a little catch in the back of my throat when I realized my daughter only had one more day of preschool left.

I had one of those "when did my baby get so big?!" moments.  It was followed by a sobering thought.  When do I need to stop treating her as my little girl and begin to groom her into the young lady I want her to become?  In my heart, she will always be my little girl with skinned knees and pigtails.  I want to hold that image in my mind forever.  I want to cherish these moments when Mommy is both guardian angel and best friend.  I want to hold her close and keep the world at bay.  At what point do I need to begin the release?

We have all seen children who are the product of parents who don't want to let go, who have hamstrung their children by arresting their development.  We see five-year-old children walking around in 22-year-old bodies.  The last thing I want to do is handicap my children because it made me feel better to hold them too close.

Two of the greatest gifts God has given me has been my two beautiful girls.  They make me smile every day.  I know that they are mine for only a short while.  I pray that I will teach them what they need to know, when they need to know it.  I hope they go out and face the world as strong young women, not scared little girls.  We are looking down the barrel at full-day kindergarten and I know some of the preparation needs to begin now.  Lord, please give me the wisdom to guide my little girls.  Please help me mold then into young ladies who are ready to go out in the world and find Your will for them in it.  Help me do this as I continue to see them with a mother's eyes.  My precious little girls.




No comments:

Post a Comment