Friday, June 21, 2013

Rainy Day Eats

It is summer in Wisconsin and today we are enjoying a steady stream of rain and thunderstorms.  Feeling bored, I'm surfing the net and come across a Groupon for Pretzelmaker.  You know, the place in the mall food court that sells the big soft pretzels?  I love soft pretzels and this made me hungry.

Unfortunately, it's raining and the nearest mall is a thirty minute drive from my house.  I do not want a pretzel a thirty minute rainy drive's worth.  (If you do want to go buy yourself a pretzel, here is the link for the Groupon: http://touch.groupon.com/deals/pretzelmaker-madison, supplies are limited)  I do however have a great recipe for pretzels!  I got this recipe from my sister-in-law, who got it from a blog, that posted it from another blog, which credits Alton Brown.  Anyway, you know it's tried and true:-)

These are the most awesome pretzels!  They are not super complicated to make, it just takes a little time...like on a rainy afternoon.  I will give you the link to one of the blogs with the recipe and all the awesome pictures to tantalize your appetite: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/01/07/soft-pretzels/.  I swear, if you do these right, they are just as good, if not better, than the ones you would buy at the mall!

Now, in my book, there is nothing better than a side of cheese sauce to go with your fresh, hot pretzel.  Go ahead and open a jar of some cheese-like substance and melt it down for your dipping pleasure of you want something quick and easy.  Been there, done that.  If you want to go the extra mile (and today I will, 'cause hey, it's raining!), here is how I make a homemade cheese sauce:

-Melt about 2 T butter in a sauce pan over medium heat
-Add about 2 T flour and stir until you have a wet sand consistency
-Pour in about 1 cup of milk and whisk until smooth
-Add 1-1 1/2 cups of your favorite cheese, a little parmesan gives a nice salty flavor
-Continue to cook until it reaches your desired thickness (if you let it go too long you may add some more milk to thin it out to your desired consistency)
-Salt and pepper to taste

This recipe makes a good amount but feel free to play with the measurements and make as much or as little as you wish.  I rarely am very precise when I make this and it always turns out nice.

I hope you enjoy!  Let me know if you try it and how it turns out:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment